About Wolftrap Elementary School
|Excused Tardies and Absenses||Unexcused Tardies and Absences|
Illness of the student
Death in the family
Doctor or dental appointment
Child care situations
Missed school bus/overslept
Per the Student Rights and Responsibilities, students are fully responsible for completing any missed assignments. Teachers may assist the student and parent or guardian in identifying missed work, but are not obligated to provide make-up assignments for unexcused absences. The best way to keep your child up-to-date is through the Blackboard account of your child’s teacher.
Also, please remember to call the attendance line at 703-319-7373 or send an email to email@example.com to report all absences. If the school is not notified of the reason for the absence, it will automatically be recorded as an unexcused absence. When contacting the school, please include the child’s name, teacher, and specific reason for the absence.
The safety of your children is of the utmost importance here. Therefore, you will observe many procedures and practices designed to ensure that safety; for example:
• All visitors must check in at the office at all times during the school day to sign in and obtain a visitor’s badge.
• Staff members are stationed at various locations at arrival and dismissal to provide supervision and guidance on safety procedures. Please note that students are not allowed to enter the building before 8:10
• Students practice safety drills regularly, including fire drills, tornado drills and lockdown drills.
All students at Wolftrap live within a walking/biking zone or a bus zone. Please have your children take advantage of riding the bus, or of walking/biking to school with friends or family. In fact the Wolftrap Bike Train occurs on the third Thursday of every month! If you choose to drive your child to school, use the designated Kiss & Ride lane to the right of the building.
The following Kiss & Ride procedures will ensure a smooth and safe process for all:
• Load and discharge children only in the Kiss and Ride area.
• Pull your car as far forward as possible before stopping to load or discharge children.
• Load and discharge children from the passenger side of the vehicle only; children should not cross the driveway in front of traffic.
• Remain in the driver’s seat. A staff member will be available to help students open and close car doors as needed.
• Keep goodbyes brief as other drivers will be waiting behind you to drop off children.
• Exit the Kiss and Ride promptly after loading or discharging children.
• When picking up children, pull into the Kiss and Ride area and wait in your car. Do not use the parking lot or the side streets as alternate Kiss and Ride locations.