2022-2023 ESSER III/School Innovation and Improvement Plan
Outcome goals for this academic school year
Complete ESSER School Funding Plans
2022-23 ESSER III/School Innovation and Improvement Plan at a Glance
- Wolftrap Elementary School
- Region 1
- Maggie Grove, Principal
Background: The Elementary and Secondary School Emergency Relief (ESSER III) is a federal grant which requires that spending be used in specific areas. Part of the Fairfax County Public Schools spending plan identifies funding to be used for Unfinished Learning and Student Academic and Social, Emotional, Mental Health (Wellness) Needs. Schools have been given funding allocations to support the academic and wellness needs of students. Schools are required to create plans in English Language Arts, Mathematics, and Wellness highlighting the strategies they will use to support these areas using their ESSER III funding. These strategies are shown below.
ESSER III English Language Arts Strategies
Ensure students are making sufficient progress to be on grade level in English Language Arts.
By the end of the 22-23 school year, 90% of EL students will meet their growth target on the WiDA annual assessment (with quarterly data checks measured by the writing and speaking WiDA RUBRICS).
- All teachers will increase time dedicated to foundational skills, instruction, and practice (print concepts, phonological awareness, phonics, word recognition, and fluency) in the core language arts block.
- All teachers will explicitly teach high level language skills (inferencing, comprehension monitoring, and awareness of text structure) via interactive read alouds of complex texts.
ESSER III Mathematics Strategies
Ensure students are making sufficient progress to be on grade level in Mathematics.
By the end of the 22-23 school year 80% of our Students with Disabilities students will pass the 2023 Mathematics SOL, which represents a 6% increase in the Unadjusted Pass Rate. By the end of the 22-23 school year, 90% of EL students will meet their growth target on the WiDA annual assessment (with quarterly data checks measured by the writing and speaking WiDA RUBRICS).
- Teachers and staff will create a dynamic forum where students share, listen, honor, and critique each other’s ideas to clarify and deepen mathematical understandings and language; teachers and staff will strategically invite participation in ways that facilitate mathematical connections and allow students to reflect on their progress towards achieving the learning intention.
- Staff will explicitly design and facilitate inquiry-based opportunities that elevate student voice and increase student engagement.
ESSER III Wellness Strategies
Ensure students feel safe, included, and supported in the school environment.
By the end of the 2022-2023 school year, Wolftrap clinical team will provide each classroom space with calming corner materials for the school year. The team will train teachers on how to set up these spaces and collect data, increasing the schoolwide scores on the SEL screener under the self-management topic (skills and competencies) by 10% from 43% to 53% favorable or higher. Teachers will increase use of data sheets from 27% of students to 50% of students, using a data sheet to record their mood after using the calming corner. Additionally, the clinical team, teachers and administration will provide information about evidence-based at-home resources for families/caregivers to support emotional self-management at home.
- Wolftrap clinical team will provide each classroom space with calming corner materials for the 2022-2023 school year, training and check ins for teachers.
Portrait of a Graduate (POG)
All students will complete a POG Presentation of Learning (POL) by 2025-26.
90% of students in Grades K -6 will show growth in POG attributes, communication and collaboration. Students in grades 3-6 will use POG self-reflections scored with the reflection on POG skill use rubric given at the beginning of the year and the end of the year.
- Teachers will design and facilitate inquiry-based opportunities that elevate student voice and increase student engagement.
- Collaborative teams will align content knowledge and skills with POG attributes and skills, communication and collaboration.